What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play Expo Pinball Battle

Wayne J

Site Supporter
Alias
WWJ
http://www.ukpinball.com/pinball-battle/
Morning All,
I'm happy to finally be able to announce that this year at Play Expo, in conjunction with the NLP team, there will be a major 2 day competition running.
Full details can be found at the website above.
In summary:
Papa Style qualifying - play a card of 3 games from 10
Unlimited qualifying attempts allowed through qualifying period
Top 16 Qualify
6 further rounds of head to head "Survival" play
£350 prize money split between top 4 finalists
All profits to Teenage Cancer Trust

Great job guys, sounds very exciting. Bit of a nightmare, I have open morning on the Saturday. So will need to bomb it up from Bristol on the Saturday to try and catch the end of qualifying. If not, I'll have 2 hours on Sunday to try and sneak in, could be exciting! Either way looks like a fantastic addition to the pinball calendar

Great job guys, sounds very exciting. Bit of a nightmare, I have open morning on the Saturday. So will need to bomb it up from Bristol on the Saturday to try and catch the end of qualifying. If not, I'll have 2 hours on Sunday to try and sneak in, could be exciting! Either way looks like a fantastic addition to the pinball calendar
I'd expect a man of your ability to be able to qualify in the 2hrs - unless you put up monster scores on the first 2 machines and don't have time to play the 3rd game :rofl:

sounds good but not sure I can make it as going to Chicago for expo. Just one thing though in my view Pinburgh style qualifying is the best type of qualifying in my view. maybe not for this year but if I ever run a tourney thats how I'm going to do it. Still be happy to give some machines for this assuming someone can collect and drop off for me!

Neil.

This old PAPA style qualifying format is super exciting. It's not been done in the UK like this before and I never thought I would get to have a go at it since PAPA changed the format this year. Great stuff

This old PAPA style qualifying format is super exciting. It's not been done in the UK like this before and I never thought I would get to have a go at it since PAPA changed the format this year. Great stuff

if you like standing in queues its super exciting!

They ran this format for the second tourney at Pinburgh and it just wasn't the same or anywhere as good as pinburgh matchplay. Luckily PAPA have it all automated so you can check into the game you want to play then it pings you when you are near the front of the queue.

Cheers,
Neil

The problem with Pinburgh style, is that you need to commit to playing pinball all weekend.
This format will allow both regular competition players, as well as newbies, to be able to choose how much time they want to commit to the comp.

Some how I don't think the queues will be quite the same issue as they have at PAPA.

Pinburgh is clearly the best tournament in the world, but that format is dependant on a huge number of games being accessible for the tournament.

Either way, this is fantastic news

It's not quite the same as the 'Intergalactic' comp at Pinburgh, which I think is a 'pump n dump' style high score comp. As Craig says, an old style PAPA comp hasn't been tried in the UK yet, and I'm also pretty excited to see how it plays out.

We have tried a Pinburgh style comp at 8bitflip (though on a much smaller scale for obvious reasons)

How are machines being allocated for this, specific ones brought in specially for the comp or taken from the general population. Just thinking with the large numbers of general public at this event how it's going to be controlled :thumbs:

How are machines being allocated for this, specific ones brought in specially for the comp or taken from the general population. Just thinking with the large numbers of general public at this event how it's going to be controlled :thumbs:
Every machine at the show will be available for the public to pay FOC at some point.
The final and qualifying will use different machines altogether.
So there won't be a particular machine tied up in competition all weekend

Don't forget to pick up your discount tickets for the NLP show here: http://www.ukpinball.com/twilightzone/

Buying directly from us saves you a few quid over the price elsewhere, gets you through the doors early, and goes towards our charity contribution to Teenage Cancer Trust. As with previous years though, we have a limited number at this discounted rate. Once they're gone, they're gone

I think a few have started to be emailed out. Send @Poibug or myself a message if you've paid and haven't heard anything within 5 or so days. We're still trying to streamline this process, but at the moment it's all done manually.

You're an absolute monster for your part in getting all of these meets and tournaments going Wayne, full respect to you!

Of course massive props to NLP for their efforts too, the tournament at Arcade Club was a blinder of an event. Keeping that many machines ticking over along with Arcade Club's own, slightly toothy machines? Is that hard work, or is that hard fun? I almost wanted to drop the tournament and roll my sleeves up...

I'll get myself in for this bugger too...

You're an absolute monster for your part in getting all of these meets and tournaments going Wayne, full respect to you!
Running a comp for under 50 people, requiring 8 or fewer machines isn't really that hard, I'd encourage others to have a go at it. There's plenty of people willing to offer help, or even machines.

Running a larger event requires exponentially more people, time and planning. There's absolutely no way this could be run without all of the guys from NLP

Back
Top Bottom