What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Lights at Play Expo Manchester. Official machine pledges.

Just to add my thanks to all involved; NLP crew, pin loaners, tournament team and all the other volunteers that made the weekend so great.

So good to catch up with friends and meet new folks. Thought the layout was terrific this year and yes, Dialled In is awesome! Also loved BM66 and Robbie's Robocop, what a thing of beauty. Well worth the early start on Sat and late return yesterday (although I was very pleased not to have to contend with the nightmare of the M6!)

John, I think you'll find it was a grand score of 15 fecking million on WH2O that was the real highlight!

Last edited:
That's us just home and unpacked van ahead of the big storm . Brilliant weekend - thanks to NLP guys ( you work so hard ) and wayne for comp and dan - best lock in ever . [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just like to add my thanks to all who............donated machines if it weren't for you guys we wouldn't have a show. All the people who helped out either setting up machines, breaking down machines, helping out with the comps, all the people who come on here and give us positive comments about the show, the great guys and girls in this hobby that get together at this time of year and create a great event that we are all proud off.
Thanks to all our overseas visitors, Ad Jonker, Pascal and joining this list for the first time our very own @teachp8 .
Big thanks to Martin the delivery man for helping us out again this year.
Would also like to say a big thank you to the drivers and the guys who rode shotgun, who started taking games back to there owners last night and first thing this morning, @Wizcat ,@Ruk , @windoesnot ,@Pudsey pinball and @DAD . These guys worked till the early hours of the morning and again first thing this morning and only finishing dropping off the last of the machines at 6pm this evening.
We salute you. :thumbs:
There's a hell of a lot of organisations that goes on behind closed doors to make a show like this happen so again thanks to all the unsung hero's. :clap:
All the guys who drove hundreds of miles to bring there pride and joys to the show for others to play, then drive all the way back after two days of great pinball action. :clap:
Personally I am totally knackered but would do it all again tomorrow just to meet up with all my pinball buddy's again.
You guys rock.
D.

Just like to add my thanks to all who............donated machines if it weren't for you guys we wouldn't have a show. All the people who helped out either setting up machines, breaking down machines, helping out with the comps, all the people who come on here and give us positive comments about the show, the great guys and girls in this hobby that get together at this time of year and create a great event that we are all proud off.
Thanks to all our overseas visitors, Ad Jonker, Pascal and joining this list for the first time our very own @teachp8 .
Big thanks to Martin the delivery man for helping us out again this year.
Would also like to say a big thank you to the drivers and the guys who rode shotgun, who started taking games back to there owners last night and first thing this morning, @Wizcat ,@Ruk , @windoesnot ,@Pudsey pinball and @DAD . These guys worked till the early hours of the morning and again first thing this morning and only finishing dropping off the last of the machines at 6pm this evening.
We salute you. :thumbs:
There's a hell of a lot of organisations that goes on behind closed doors to make a show like this happen so again thanks to all the unsung hero's. :clap:
All the guys who drove hundreds of miles to bring there pride and joys to the show for others to play, then drive all the way back after two days of great pinball action. :clap:
Personally I am totally knackered but would do it all again tomorrow just to meet up with all my pinball buddy's again.
You guys rock.
D.

i906.photobucket.com_albums_ac270_bikerbandit7_paul_20van.jpg

When going that extra mile to deliver pins last night was just about an extra mile too far up a country lane :eek:

Right my turn to offer thanks and comments.

I finally got back home at 4:30 today after dropping the last of the machines off. I was asleep on the sofa by 4:35.

Thanks to Paul, Ian & Tim especially for all of their hard work and assistance with the touranment;, as well as Mark, Julie, Ailsa, Dan, Neil and others for their help in scoring. All the feedback on the commentary was positive from what I heard, especially Craig during the finals. (I'll open a new thread to discuss people's thoughts on the comp).

Obviously a big thanks to everyone who brought machines, and even bigger thanks to those who took them back as well!

The NLP guys, as always, did a fantastic job. Unless you've been involved I don't think you can even begin to understand the time, commitment and effort that goes into something this big.

Tomorrow I get to start the clean up on Met. It doesn't look as bad as first feared.

Right my turn to offer thanks and comments.

I finally got back home at 4:30 today after dropping the last of the machines off. I was asleep on the sofa by 4:35.

Thanks to Paul, Ian & Tim especially for all of their hard work and assistance with the touranment;, as well as Mark, Julie, Ailsa, Dan, Neil and others for their help in scoring. All the feedback on the commentary was positive from what I heard, especially Craig during the finals. (I'll open a new thread to discuss people's thoughts on the comp).

Obviously a big thanks to everyone who brought machines, and even bigger thanks to those who took them back as well!

The NLP guys, as always, did a fantastic job. Unless you've been involved I don't think you can even begin to understand the time, commitment and effort that goes into something this big.

Tomorrow I get to start the clean up on Met. It doesn't look as bad as first feared.

glad to hear that Wayne!

When going that extra mile to deliver pins last night was just about an extra mile too far up a country lane :eek:

For those that haven't heard the story yet...

We were returning pins last night. Dropped off at @windoesnot, set off for @JMP and I switched the Google nav on. It reached a junction that I thought 'hmm, that's weird. I normally go the other way'. But of course I have complete faith in Google.. So off I went the way the lovely lady from Google said

JMP does live in the back end of nowhere, so when we start hitting single track lanes I'm expecting that. When the single track turns a bit bumpy, well.. not ideal, but at this point we can only go backwards or forwards. So on we go..

'You have arrived at your destination' is not something you really want to hear when you're on a single track road across an empty field in the middle of the night, with only wild animals living nearby. A call to JMP only served to confirm we were indeed lost, so the only thing to attempt was to turn back. We were at a point where the path had ended, and a left turn onto a tractor path, or reversing uphill over about a mile of single track were the only options. I opted for trying a three point turn, and soon found my wheels spinning in the mud. Each attempt to get out of this situation only slid the back end of the van closer to slipping off the verge, which would surely have toppled the van.

For a good while I think we both thought we were screwed, and had thoughts about sleeping in the van, or walking back to find civilisation. Lots of cursing, wandering around with phone torches trying to find a dryer patch of mud we could get the wheels onto, and an enormous amount of patience by @Ruk and a good 15 minutes or so of planning, we finally got enough traction to get back onto the single track.

Still heading the wrong way though. So with even more patience Ruk ends up walking alongside the van with mobile phone torch trying to help me reverse all the way up this single track slope we came down.

That photo is the very top of the single track, at a point we were both ecstatic that we'd got out of that situation!

Moral of the story... erm, Don't go to JMP's in the dark? :hmm:

Edited to add: was after 1am I got back to the hotel, so fairly goosed today! Will do thanks soon!

That's not a lane, that's a farm track ! Grass in the middle of a road is sign not to keep going that way.... :rofl:

At one point of these guys being lost, they rang and said they were next to a duck pond....., do I know where that is? Heh.

That's not a lane, that's a farm track ! Grass in the middle of a road is sign not to keep going that way.... :rofl:

At one point of these guys being lost, they rang and said they were next to a duck pond....., do I know where that is? Heh.

Yeah a duck pond, AND BARRELS JOHN. THERE WERE BARRELS TOO! Can't believe you didn't know where we were from that description

Just to add my thanks to all involved; NLP crew, pin loaners, tournament team and all the other volunteers that made the weekend so great.

So good to catch up with friends and meet new folks. Thought the layout was terrific this year and yes, Dialled In is awesome! Also loved BM66 and Robbie's Robocop, what a thing of beauty. Well worth the early start on Sat and late return yesterday (although I was very pleased not to have to contend with the nightmare of the M6!)

John, I think you'll find it was a grand score of 15 fecking million on WH2O that was the real highlight!
Great to catch up with you again Mark and I can't wait to get my Dialled In !!!

Cheers

kev

Signs have been tried - no-one reads them...doesn't matter where they are, or what size they are. ...though we haven't tried having someone walk round with a sandwich board - volunteers for the next show welcome :D

i volunteer to wear this at the next event and don a sandwich board for astroll about with some brief simple instructions like these -

NEVER PLAYED PINBALL BEFORE?
START BUTTON WILL START A GAME, ONE PRESS FOR ONE PLAYER, TWO FOR TWO ETC.
USUALLY YOU GET THREE BALLS (LIKE 3 LIVES) BUT SOMETIMES YOU CAN WIN EXTRA BALLS ...
I HAVE THREE BALLS AND FOUR ARMS. AND FIVE BALLBAGS.

AFM costume in use 6.jpg

This pic was taken at Daventry in August 2012. yes i had it made. yes, it was quite pricey. no, i don't regret it.

Martian: "You again?"
Martian: "Earth will be ours!"
Martian: "Greetings earthling. Ha ha ha!"
Martian: "Greetings earthling. Bwa ha ha ha ha!"
Martian: "Come here, tasty human!"
Martian: "Hey look, your shoe is untied! Ha ha ha ha!"
Martian: "Aaarrgh!"
Martian: "Had enough?"
Martian: "Not so fast!"
Martian: "Your cities will be destroyed!"
Martian: "We are invincible!"
Martian: "You can´t defeat our forcefield!"
Martian: "Nothing can defeat us!"
Martian: "Ha, we won´t be defeated so easily!"
Martian: "Not so fast, human!"
Martian: "Martians: superior, Humans: pathetic! Ha!"
Martian: "Puny humans, we have four arms!"
Martian: "No, no, noo! Can´t we just be friends?"
Martian: "But we´ll be back!"
Martian: "Jackpot!"
Martian: "Oh baby!"
Martian: "Ha, ha, ha!"
Martian: "Aaarr...women!"
Martian: "Aaarr...more women!"
Martian: "It will never work!"
Martian: "Run away!"
Martian: "Attack!"
Martian: "Not you again? Aaarrgh!"
Martian: "Bwa ha ha, attack!"
Martian: "Oh no!"
Martian: "Na-na, missed me!"
Martian: "Oh, not multiball!"
Martian: "Surprise, ha ha!"
Martian: "Hey look, your shoe is untied! Ha ha ha ha!"
Martian: "Na, na-na, na-na-na! Phffrrrt!"
Martian: "Na-na, missed me!"
Martian: "So, you want to rule the Universe? You don´t stand a chance!"
Martian: "You rule the Universe!"

After seeing the event and hearing what people went through to set up and clean down, I would feel a real lazy plank if I didn't bring a machine next time. As my car can barely hold a packet of crisps in addition to my wide frame, I may have to get serious. But it WILL be done.

Next time I'll just rent the sodding van!!!

A really late response I know (still recovering), but just wanted to add my thanks to everyone involved with the show. First one I've ever attended and hopefully not my last. The opportunity to play such an enormous selection of machines was amazing.

Met and spoke to some lovely people too. The community really is just that!

Oh man was I absolutely shattered yesterday!

But of course it was all totally worth it, tremendous show once again. Huge props to everyone involved from machine donations, planning & organising, charity stands, machine setup & tear down, pickups & drop offs, machine repair, vendor stalls, competition running & live streaming. So many parts fitted so well together and couldn't have been done without the entire pinball community's help. It's a lot of work, most of which goes completely unnoticed by most but the opportunity to bring pinball back to the people is very rewarding. Heck, even a work colleague who went on the Sunday emailed me yesterday about buying a machine!

Thumbs up for a brilliant event! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Agree with everyone's positive posts about the event and hats off to the entire NLP crew for arranging such a top show. Too many people to thank everyone individually but particular thanks to Tim for the streaming, amazing set up and have enjoyed watching some of it back. Wayne for the competition, I didn't take part cause I am crap but enjoyed watching some of it. Dan for a superb lock in and pizza. Phil from Pinball Heaven and Kirk at Tilt for bringing some really new games to the show. And to the two gents who helped me load my Doctor Who back into my Honda Jazz on Sunday evening. It was the 1st time I had brought a game having been to shows before, but not taking the time to lend a machine. But I am glad I did, just need to get back home to the highlands. Didn't have any issues getting on any machines and did as was suggested before the show and just asked people if they wanted a two player game if they were just starting a game, or if I was starting a game on my own I would just look round and ask anyone walking past if they fancied a two player game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom