What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Lights at Play Expo Manchester. Official machine pledges.

The only people that abuse the pins are the horrible little rat kids, i had to tell a few not to hang off the plunger a few times.

The 4 player problem does need addressing perhaps with a simple graphic explaining what the credit button does, as alot seem to think its there to put the ball in the lane :/

I had a few problems with rat kids as you put it, had one trying to get crawl between the legs of R2, kids will be kids, but the parents just watch and surly they must see the danger of a big heavy robot.

I neglected to heed the advice.

But, with all of us appearing to have come back with a bug and with some discussion in the office we won't make the same mistake next year. There really were some 'orrible folk there with incredibly poor hygiene.

I had a big bottle on the NERG table which everyone was quite welcome to use. Did you not see it?

I had a few problems with rat kids as you put it, had one trying to get crawl between the legs of R2, kids will be kids, but the parents just watch and surly they must see the danger of a big heavy robot.

Thats the thing the parents just watch, winds me up a treat. Im sure if your robot had crushed them they would be complaining.

I had a big bottle on the NERG table which everyone was quite welcome to use. Did you not see it?
Alas no. My eyes were like saucers at the number of Pins there. I was honestly walking round in a daze at times.

Played a tonne of pinball over the weekend - seriously impressed with the lineup this year. :)

Would be less likely to be an issue if people just washed their god-darned hands after using the bathroom.

Point taken though; i'll be taking sanitiser with me next year.

Also not sure if anyone follows him but John’s Arcade on YouTube was there on the sat. I happen to bump into him.

He has done quite a few pinball videos.
Yes, I would imagine I'm on one of the vids they were filming, I was just coming to the end of a very short game on TSPP in the comp when they got pretty close and started talking about the machine ( a little rude given it was a comp machine, not that it mattered to my feeble effort )

Yes, I would imagine I'm on one of the vids they were filming, I was just coming to the end of a very short game on TSPP in the comp when they got pretty close and started talking about the machine ( a little rude given it was a comp machine, not that it mattered to my feeble effort )

Ah they weren’t filming at the time, he was wandering around the arcade bit.

Side note, unfortunately the paperboy was out of action all weekend from what I could tell, I queued for the punch out only to realise it was the newer one.

Also not sure if anyone follows him but John’s Arcade on YouTube was there on the sat. I happen to bump into him.

He has done quite a few pinball videos.
I thought I saw him? But I discounted it, as being him, as I thought there's no way he'd be over here! Be interested to see the clip when it's up!

my little one wanted to see him as we watch the vids on YouTube. sadly we never saw him all weekend. he comes across as a pretty normal guy in the vids. I'm sure no rudeness would have been intended.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I thought I saw him? But I discounted it, as being him, as I thought there's no way he'd be over here! Be interested to see the clip when it's up!

Yeah that’s what I said. He was over for a launch of something and went to some arcade. Maybe if I were local the names might have made sense.

But yeah, quite shocked.

Well that a fantastic weekend!

This was my first NLP, always clashes with other events I do but this year scheduled this one in first! The Northern Lads do a great job organising the event and the Lock In was top notch

Kudos to Wayne for organising a really professional ran competition - I think its the future for competitions in the UK

To say I'm a little broken is an under estimate, moving 19 machines on 2 vans with a chest infection and two dodgy hands (had both hands operated on) is more taxing then expected!

Roll on next year!

don't lie @Tilt_Birmingham Kirk...your highlight of the weekend was our man date at Wagamamas on sunday lunch LOL :D

Dunc

Last edited:
Yeah that’s what I said. He was over for a launch of something and went to some arcade. Maybe if I were local the names might have made sense.

But yeah, quite shocked.
He was tweeting from arcade club the day before so he must have been there for the UKVAC thing that was held there.

Ah they weren’t filming at the time, he was wandering around the arcade bit.

Side note, unfortunately the paperboy was out of action all weekend from what I could tell, I queued for the punch out only to realise it was the newer one.

Yep paperboy was off all of sat shame I'd of liked a go on that another one from my yoof. Track and field now that brings back some tantrums and pain

I must admit I didn’t see any foul play by the general public. However it might be worth having a sign reminding folk that many of these machines are privately owned.
Signs have been tried - no-one reads them...doesn't matter where they are, or what size they are.

As I've said in previous years - the vast majority of people without any understanding of etiquette are non-pinballers & a friendly word is nearly always enough - whether that be for not 'abusing' machines (deliberately by slamming etc, or accidentally by resting food/drinks on etc), or for having multiple games (either in a row, or putting 4-player on).

I know, as a teacher by trade, that I can diffuse most potentially aggressive situations through being courteous & friendly, but firm...and also at NLP I'm wearing a "crew" t-shirt...but, honestly, if you're ever at a show & someone's doing something you don't like...go & speak to them in a friendly, non-patronising, non-aggressive manner - in 10+ years of going to shows, I've never yet had someone being aggressive, or unreasonable in response. At Daventry I've got to know a lot people by asking for a 2-player game when waiting for a game that someone re-starts after playing whilst I've been queuing, and at the NLP a lot are happy to be informed about stuff like multi-player games, or even 3-ball games, that they didn't know existed.

...and, yes, at NLP, a lot of people are ignorant to the fact these machines are privately owned & once they're aware they have a lot more respect - but seriously, the only way to overcome the ignorance is to speak to them...though we haven't tried having someone walk round with a sandwich board - volunteers for the next show welcome :D

Regards,
Dan.

Had a really great time once again, many thanks for everyone who helped make the event possible. Was really amazing to see so many tables made it to the event. Tried my best to get on all of them, but I just didn't have enough time, maybe I'll have to do the lock-in.

I could go on for ages about how many games I did like lots, but I really enjoyed Dialed In, I think most people did too!

Didn't have to wait long to get on most of the machines, no one refused to let me go on a machine too, the reverse has happened in previous years.

Was also nice that there was a pinball tournament, this alone was well organised and I hope it returns, too bad I did as well as I expected to :p The streaming of the tournament was real nice, and the commentary made it much better too.

Back
Top Bottom