What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Lights at Play Expo Manchester. Official machine pledges.

Great show. Thanks to all the organisers you really did a great job.

Note to self though - next year make plans to go alone not meet the wife when she lands in Manchester after a week long business trip and thus does not really want to spend two days watching me and my daughter playing pins and vids and (in the case of my daughter, not me I might add) Minecraft.

Consequently only managed a few hours Saturday and Sunday with rest of time being dragged round Trafford Centre sulking.

Got to lock in but even then enjoyment was tinged by guilt I felt having to leave the missus sat in corner reading her book so left after just a couple of hours.

Next time need to make it a lads weekend only so I can catch up with some of the old faces and put some names to new ones.

Thanks for the comments I got in person and in post on here about the nice condition of my Elvis but can’t take credit for that as I’ve only had it for a week and just had the glass off to wax the play field - and now it’ll take me about a bloody year or more (if ever) to knock off the high scores no doubt some of you scoundrels have put on it for me!

Highlights for me were the 60’s Batman game, Iron Man, Radical, old favourites of TZ, DE Star Wars and Theatre of Magic, the new Star Wars which I think I liked if only I knew what the heck I was supposed to be doing - and the personal tour of Garry Speight’s 12 pin basement he gave me when I dropped his TZ off.

Cheers once again to Chris, Dan, Mark and the rest and the guy who’s name I didn’t catch but who sorted me out my free tickets when I tapped him on the shoulder at entrance and nice to meet you other guy (who’s name I also didn’t get) who was stood at entrance with him waiting on medical attention for cut on palm of your hand - I hope it got fixed up and you managed to get some flippin’ in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Theatre Of Magic was the only one I couldn't get on. I waited and waited and kept coming back but just had to accept defeat and give up at the finish.

Another great event guys

Shame it took me under 11 hours to get home yup you heard me right! I was very close to a psychotic break

Oh yeah and who's idea was it to sell candy floss at an event with kids and loads of machines with buttons lol.

And I'm sure some of the mouth breathers live on a diet of turds. If they ain't breathing their honking breath on you they are crop dusting the **** out of everything!
They sell crisps in cinemas. I'm more sick of writing complaints than they are of reading them.

That doesn't make sense
It doesn't. Why would you sell deliberately noisy, crinkly-bagged crisps in your cinema where it drives everyone nuts? It's half the reason the pick-n-mix stand doesn't sell individually wrapped stuff!

Similarly, candy floss only requires the moisture from mere proximity to human breath to turn into a workable alternative for Mylar glue.

The unmistakable aroma of a nerd convention. Where toothpaste is a suggestion, deodorant is unknown and showering is done about as often as shaving is, perhaps monthly.

Also, am I one of the only people in the world that liked Spectrum? That was such a classy, stylish game. I can see why it wasn't popular, it's not obvious to play at all, but it seems like an ideal game to keep around for practising your precision shots. And it's just unique.

Thanks again to the whole NLP crew - Darren, Dave S, Dave D, Poi, Simon, Mark, Dan, Paul, Steve, Moose, and the several I’ve forgotten. To Wayne and Paul for the tourney, and Tim for live streaming it. Dan for the lock-in including pizzas, everyone who brought pins or manned stalls or promoted Pinball to even one new person. RGP James’ arrangement of the arcade cabs was best ever, and it seemed that every machine that needed attention got fixed, both pins and cabs.

My highlights were the people, the excessive drinking, some pins (Dialled In, Laser War, Twilit Zones, Roger’s really nice Theatre of Magic, a few others), the bubbling tea urn under the gazebo, and the breakfasts at Premier Inn. Oh, and watching Paul Brookfield show his stuff on the Dance Dance Revolution game. And Galaga of course, which I managed to get into the no-firing-back cheat mode for a cheaty score, after watching some dude score 180K (70K more than I could muster without cheating). And of course the selection of £1.75 pints at the Spoons.

Best forgotten, for me, were Captain Nemo, Star Wars (the DE machines and even the Sega version were all more fun), all those horrible new colour DMDs sprouting everywhere with the nasty colour palette of yellow and pink and eye-splitting blue. I missed the cosplay this year but did attend the (unimpressive) Spectrum film showing.

Ivan and I set off at 6 and were home in West London by 10, so it sounds like we were lucky with traffic.

Looking forward to seeing all the pictures folks took.

Last edited:
Any chance of a ballpark figure on what that went for? Looked awesome.

The T2 sold for £5000 which is probably what I have in it that doesn't inc my time I love restoring games much more than playing them and this one as most of my show games are done just to show people what a proper restoration job is and what can be achieved I must say that this one has been the hardest and most expensive up to date but the most satisfying when I got the end result

Also, am I one of the only people in the world that liked Spectrum? That was such a classy, stylish game. I can see why it wasn't popular, it's not obvious to play at all, but it seems like an ideal game to keep around for practising your precision shots. And it's just unique.

Loved it, might have to add one to the hoard

We stayed till about 1pm on the Sat, was just getting too hot for me in there. It was a pleasure to finally put some names to faces, Piobug, I still owe you a pint, I don't forget these things.

My bargains of the day were a boxed ZX81 and a boxed rubber key Spectrum 48k for £90 the pair, both complete and fully working.

Great collection of pins there, some I have never seen before and some classic video games that bought back both good and bad memories of being 12/13 again!

Thank you to everyone for the generosity of the machines and next year we might get a hotel and make a weekend of it, including the lock in and I may have more machines to offer too.

The T2 sold for £5000 which is probably what I have in it that doesn't inc my time I love restoring games much more than playing them and this one as most of my show games are done just to show people what a proper restoration job is and what can be achieved I must say that this one has been the hardest and most expensive up to date but the most satisfying when I got the end result

Sounds like someone got an absolute bargain there! Very nice indeed.

The only people that abuse the pins are the horrible little rat kids, i had to tell a few not to hang off the plunger a few times.

The 4 player problem does need addressing perhaps with a simple graphic explaining what the credit button does, as alot seem to think its there to put the ball in the lane :/

Oh Where the Frikk do i start.... Ahh i know....

MASSIVE thank you to ALL of the following (In no Particular order!)

The people who lent their precious machines to make this event happen - it was YOU that made this show possible!
The NLP Crew for setting it up and taking weeks and weeks out of their lives to make it pleasurable for the rest of us
@Wizards_Hat (Dan) for the Beyond-Excellent lock-in (and the Vid Games - Stroke of genius there... I'm still recovering from the kids dragging me onto Dance Dance Euromix the B'stards!). Oh and the Pizza's. And Drinks. Etc.
@replicas and @mufcmufc for bringing things i had forgotten about
@Steve C and @Big Phil for Great and pain-free "Transactions" :)
@Sven Normansson for the shaker, and @Wayne J for his courier services ;)
@cooldan for the giggles on some 80's Vid Games (Remind me NEVER to get in a plane with you in the pilot seat!) :)
@Sgt GrizZ for the chat and quick Catchup

and apologies to @Neil McRae who i THINK i was sat next to outside at the lock in, however I was too tied up with Kids/Chicken to ask because I wasn't sure :D Next time.... :)

And Everyone else Who made it happen, alongside all who where there that i bumped into :)

Big Big thanks to NLP guys and all who made this another fantastic event. There were some cracking machines there and as usual, time seemed to fly by (apart from the journey home when the M6 was closed and took 5 hours!). Also, a big thanks to @Matt Vince for letting me be his date for the evening and getting in on the lock-in.

It was my first lock-in which was great fun. Relaxed, banter, pizza, pinball and beer. What more could you want.

Things I learnt:

1) Although I had some great scores with my name up on a few pins (1.15Bn on White Water + 1.4Bn on first ball on Roadshow), I SUCK at tournament play.

2) Dialled In was fricking awesome. The best game by far and exceeded my expectations.

3) Star Wars was the opposite. I wasn't expecting much and things were even worse. I think I only played it 3 times during the whole weekend and that says a lot.

4) There is only so much pizza a human being can eat. Dominoes pizza must have emptied they stock for the lock-in.

5) Jeff Minter was a really nice guy, had a good chat and wish him well.

5) Cosplay doesn't seem strange anymore?????????????WTF

Put some new faces to names which was really good and already looking forward to the next one.

Loved the whole show and many many thanks to those that gave machines and those that did all the work - you are heroes!

Just some feedback on the tournament and I know it was all lightweight and for charity but all meant to improve so please take positively.

1: Outstanding organisation - been to a couple of the big US tournaments and this was as good if not better, all the folks manning the tourney area where on the ball. Really Really well done folks.
2: Helpers very helpful in answering any questions etc.
3: Streaming coverage easily the best - well done Tim (@strobey ) and co. Craig's (@roadshow16 ) commentary during the finals was the best I've ever seen on a tournament, really good to have a player who knows the rules of thegame; and how the players will play well.
4: Format - whilst the format was a real pain in the **** I think its was superb, so hard to be consistent around three different plays and quickly shows those who can really play well. I must have done about twenty entries and if I'd played consistently I'd have been just out of the finals, a pinballers favourite excuse LOL; need to spend more and more time learning how games play but I loved it.

Things to consider:

1: Game choice - ok - but nothing that was made in the last couple of years - I think tourneys should always have something new. I know this might be just what was available on the day which I understand - the early SS games were fantastic, 8 Ball was freaking hard but a cool set of play rules. For me it was like doom as I really didn't know anything about the games on play. Thanks to Sarge though I figured out how to play WW during the lock-in and the next day nailed a great score on it.
2: Quality of games - Variable, the Simpsons, Avatar and Transformers were spot on. There was a few games that needed better levelling and a few that had problems and that tilt on TW! Again maybe limited by the choice you had. I will commit to making sure that there is a new game there next year from my own games.
3: Environment - I saw a few players who where waiting; disturb players who where playing who seemed to be ok with it; whilst some folks might not mind that I think have a sign with some of the dos and don't to remind folks would be good not a huge issue but something to consider. With the format hard to have a players briefing before hand.

Overall though I loved the tourney for me it made the show so much better than last year. Would be so good if we could turn the whole event into a pinburgh like event but realise thats very tough with getting machines.

Hope you run it again next year please and If I can help with anything please let me know.

Cheers,
Neil.

The man with the ass has been tweeted by a retro gaming guy I follow. I won't embarrass the person concerned by posting a link but i'm thankful that my eyes were spared from seeing it 'in the flesh'. To the person concerned please address the issue in future as it's not something anyone wants to see, least of all families walking around with kids.

With that said it was a fantastic weekend and I really need to make my apologies for not seeking out fellow PinballInfo members to say hi; a combination of waaaay too much pinball and being accompanied by friends that I felt I needed to 'show the ropes' to meant that it was really hard to escape and enjoy the social aspect a little more. Hell it took me until Sunday to finally catch up with some old video games chums that i'd not seen for nigh on 10 years.

I played a load of titled including many i'd never played before. I loved many of those on the Pinball Heaven stand but an absolute favourite was Ghost Busters. I also enjoyed the new Bat Man that was just around the corner; it seems that DMD-based games are dead and Stern have realised they had to make the leap to a more modern solution, something that was no doubt pushed by JJP.

I never had to wait more than a few minutes for a game and the advice given here was spot on. Generally if you loitered behind someone then when they finished their game they would step aside and let you jump in. In fact in the case of me and my Danish friend that happened every single time. The only issues I did notice was people starting multi-player games and then getting bored and wandering off or not being able to play a game due a fault on the machine and then just walking off without reporting it.

Neither of these are really big issues and probably understandable for non-pinball folk. I did my best by resetting games which had been left mid-game and reporting as many issues as I could to the NLP crew. They did a sterling job and I was really impressed how many machines they kept going despite what seemed to be loads of issues. Of course that's to be expected given the age of many of the machines and the hammer they were taking. Out of interest what kept going wrong with the Rocky & Bullwinkle? I went to play it a few times and each time it was turned off.

So yeah, congratulations to all involved. The wife has already asked if i'll be going again next year and hopefully, presuming the event is repeated, i'll be able to make it along and perhaps spend a bit less time playing pinball and more time catching up with the lovely folk on here.

Also, a final thanks to @chris b for sorting me out with the few LEDs I needed. He wouldn't take anything for them so I bunged some cash in the donation buckets for the Teenage Cancer Trust instead.

all those horrible new colour DMDs sprouting everywhere with the nasty colour palette of yellow and pink and eye-splitting blue.

There was two types of coloured DMDs - the ColorDMD - which looked ace, the one on Addams in the tourney was superb. And then some other one (pinballsp?) that was on the TW in the tourney which looked absolutely terrible. Original DMD looks better than that!

Cheers,
Neil

There was a BDK with some kind of colour LED display which looked awful too, I assumed it had a dodgy ribbon cable or some other problem but maybe not.

Got back 01:00 ish this morning. Gave Wayne some stick about the pin / van incident.on Saturday... 8ugger me backwards, if I didn't go and forget to strap in Queens castle in the back of the van on Sunday night :eek:. Got back and it had tipped over on top of the EM heads. Very, very lucky, not a mark on it nor the heads. Morel here: don't 9iss about when your strapping your pins in - concentrate on the job!

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig thanks to the NLP team for a great show, loved it. You guys rock, big time!! :clap::popcorn: You realy make it easy for people to support you. Thanks to @Robbie n @ronsplooter for helping me round up those pesky pins, many hands made light work :).

Best bit for me was having access to the arcade machines in the lock-in - :) Genius Dan! @Wizards_Hat Thank you buddy!

Nautilus, some how got a busted flipper - how i will never know - i don't like the metal bottomed ones anyway so time for two new Williams ones :).

Wizard GI in top box stopped working - no flames nor blown fuses so left as is will sort when i get a min now back at home..

Iron Man war machine kickback opto not working.

PacMan not a wobble all weekend - cheers to Dave Langley who lent me a load of spares in case it went wrong - must have scared it into behaving mate :)

Other than that i don't think there was any other issues. Normal EM twiddle needed here and there. Including a mammoth issue on day one with Nautilus that neither Dave D nor i could resolve - sorted in the end though.

Nice to see the special Guest Mr Potter: @teachp8 - mate 1/4mill is way too low...

Finally. Steve...

Mate. Love you to bits for your knowledge on pins and stories from the past. But you have to purchase some braces for your jeans dude - please. :)

Great job one and all - cheers - same time, same place next year?.

JB

Got back 01:00 ish this morning. Gave Wayne some stick about the pin / van incident.on Saturday... 8ugger me backwards, if I didn't go and forget to strap in Queens castle in the back of the van on Sunday night :eek:. Got back and it had tipped over on top of the EM heads. Very, very lucky, not a mark on it nor the heads. Morel here: don't 9iss about when your strapping your pins in - concentrate on the job!

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig thanks to the NLP team for a great show, loved it. You guys rock, big time!! :clap::popcorn: You realy make it easy for people to support you. Thanks to @Robbie n @ronsplooter for helping me round up those pesky pins, many hands made light work :).

Best bit for me was having access to the arcade machines in the lock-in - :) Genius Dan! @Wizards_Hat Thank you buddy!

Nautilus, some how got a busted flipper - how i will never know - i don't like the metal bottomed ones anyway so time for two new Williams ones :).

Wizard GI in top box stopped working - no flames nor blown fuses so left as is will sort when i get a min now back at home..

Iron Man war machine kickback opto not working.

PacMan not a wobble all weekend - cheers to Dave Langley who lent me a load of spares in case it went wrong - must have scared it into behaving mate :)

Other than that i don't think there was any other issues. Normal EM twiddle needed here and there. Including a mammoth issue on day one with Nautilus that neither Dave D nor i could resolve - sorted in the end though.

Nice to see the special Guest Mr Potter: @teachp8 - mate 1/4mill is way too low...

Finally. Steve...

Mate. Love you to bits for your knowledge on pins and stories from the past. But you have to purchase some braces for your jeans dude - please. :)

Great job one and all - cheers - same time, same place next year?.

JB

Lol he was even wearing a belt and they were still coming down

Great show. Loved the look of the Dr Who pin don't know whose it was.
Not me playing Star Wars, well I don't think so.
IMG_6260.JPG

Same look every year lol.
Let's hope TCT get lots of cash again.

Basically those kinds of color DMDs run a 'palette' of colours that provide a gradient of colors e.g., black, dark red, red, orange, yellow, white - and it automatically uses those colors in place of a standard 'brightness' per dot.

It's a quick, dirty and for those of us that used to use the Game Boy Color or even the Super Gameboy back in the day to 'colorise' the old monochrome games, its a familiar and acceptable approach.

The full-blown color DMDs with full ranges of colors are very irritating to program as just like an old film, it requires frame-by-frame manual colorisation, which is why you can buy one of those color DMDs and then need game-specific firmware - or just be stuck with monochrome B/W or the above 'palette' technique.

Yeah, I noticed some weird coloured DMD's - they didn't actually have the distinct dots any more and instead the mash of colours all melded together making it look really weird.

Great show. Loved the look of the Dr Who pin don't know whose it was.
Not me playing Star Wars, well I don't think so.

Same look every year lol.
Let's hope TCT get lots of cash again.

Dr. Who was mine, bought from Darren Ross about a year ago, previously was Lee Riley I believe. It played well until the lock in when the sound stopped working, no idea why. Need to try have a look at it in the next couple of days. Although Chris B has rightly pointed out it would benefit from a pinsound in it. But other than it stood up to the weekend well. Thanks for the comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom